So, who was this dear friend? Well. I can't wait to tell you the story. I've known Cyndi for about 4 years, I think. She is the sweetest girl you could imagine... always sending me the best notes (on blue and green cards, of course!) and surprise packages that just happen to come when I'm feeling a little blue and need a virtual hug. When I noticed she was planning a party on Pinterest, I immediately said, "What is this party for? And, I hope I'm invited!" She just happened to be stowing away inspiration for her upcoming 40th birthday. Naturally, I said, "Give your husband my info. Seriously. This is my thing." Soon after, I found myself on the phone with Cyndi's husband... stealing quick chats while she was in the shower, texting and emailing while she was distracted. Everything started to seem a little clandestine. Ha! I was very top secret and only reached out when absolutely necessary-- like when it came to attire. "Your husband said jeans and sweaters. Are you really on board with that?" All the while, I was telling her that I was so sad and disappointed I couldn't make it to the actual festivities. Little did she know that her husband and I schemed to have me there to surprise her... so we could meet for the very first time. That's right, folks. Cyndi was my "internet friend". I'm sure you have one, too. And, if your husband is anything like mine (or hers), then he probably shakes his head in confusion at the thought. Her husband and I had many a laugh at how much time he and I spent on the phone planning a party for someone I'd never actually spoken to in real life. Again... never talked to. In four years. We'd texted, emailed, sent gifts, but never did we actually speak. (For the record, I offered, but she was too chicken!) Let's say there were a few dropped jaws when we explained how we knew each other at the party. The best comment of the night was, "But your married. And heterosexual." I nearly died. Funniest thing ever.
I'm not going to say there weren't a few bumps along the way... canceled flights and rebooked tickets for three days later/the night before I was supposed to fly back, packages that arrived after I actually took off, a suitcase full of pink Izze-soaked clothes thanks to TSA, washing clothes at a stranger's house, superglue-stuck fingers, insomnia... but the good memories far outweigh the bad. I had an absolute blast, gained ten pounds eating all of the fabulous food that was lined up, found a pair of amazing pants for $2.44, got the best manicure ever, stayed at the Ritz, laughed, laughed, laughed and realized that this long-awaited meeting was too long in the making. Our friendship was sealed with this trip, and I am SO thankful I was able to be a part of such a special weekend for Cyndi. We realized that we just might be the same person. (It was getting kind of scary, actually.) By the end, I felt like I was a part of their family. It was truly an amazing experience. (I don't want to forget to mention that I met another fabulous girl on the trip-- Sarah of Cake for Breakfast! It was a good hour and a half into the party Friday night before I realized who she was... and she is a doll!)
Now that I've shared all of this with you, I am sure you'd like to see a few pics. I apologize for the iPhone pic quality. I left my nice camera at home at the last minute.
Pop, fizz, clink. Happy birthday, Cyndi Lou! I'm ecstatic to call you my friend. And, I'm so thankful for the internet.







2 comments:
Yeah! What a great recap! It's nice to hear some of the back story on the event also. Your work was super adorable, SUPER Cyndi and it was lovely to meet you also. Blog friends, unite!
This is very sweet. And example of one of the best things about blogging - the friendships that develop.
Post a Comment