I wish I had some fabulous pictures to share, but I didn't take my camera out even once during the entire trip. The weather was in the high 60s and windy on the beach, but J had more enviable weather on the golf course. The day we flew back (and then drove another 3 1/2 hours to get home) was the day we marked 9 months of wedded bliss... and it was a tough one! Delta had us sitting 12 rows away from each other on one flight and without assigned seats on another. We made it through without too many catastrophes, though.
It was nice to unplug for a bit. I only posted to Twitter via phone a couple of times and sent only one email the entire time. I was very proud of myself.... and then became a bit frustrated when, once home, I saw 1000+ posts (several times over) in my Google Reader and hundreds of emails in my personal inbox and nearly 600 emails at work. Ugh... nothing like vacation to make you feel like you need another vacation!
Unfortunately, I received some bad news the day we got back. My grandfather, who I am very close to, was admitted to the hospital during our trip. He has not yet been released. It's hard for me to imagine him not being the strong and able person that I've known my whole life, but I know that his health has been going downhill the past few years. He has an inoperable tumor in one area and his kidneys are not functioning properly. It makes me tear up just typing about it. In December, I was having an awfully "low" day. I was in a funk and just couldn't figure out how to get out of it. I stopped by the post office on my way home and noticed a package from my grandparents. Inside, there was a stack of cards and letters tied with string... with a note that said, "This is why you are loved..." When I looked closer, I saw that it was every letter and card I had ever sent to my grandparents, dating back to my early years. They had saved every single one. It filled my heart with so much love that I was able to get through a really difficult time when I wasn't sure I would be able to. The love we have shared in my lifetime has made me the person I am today, and for that, I am forever grateful. It breaks my heart that my grandfather is in pain and that my grandmother is struggling to through her own hurt because of it. Please keep them in your thoughts.
I didn't intend this post to go the direction it did. I apologize! I'm looking at May as a new, positive month. I hope yours started well.








11 comments:
Sending positive thoughts your way. :)
I'm glad you were able to unplug on your vacay. I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather though. That was really sweet of them to save all your letters and them to send them to you when you needed them most. Sounds like you have very lovely grandparents.
Oh Abbie, I'm so sorry to hear about your grandfather. I hope he's feeling better soon!
I'm sorry. It is never easy to see someone you love get sick, especially when it's a Grandparent. I will say a prayer for him and you.
I'm so sorry to hear the news about your grandfather. My grandfather has been struggling recently, too, and it is just so difficult to watch. Sounds like you have a very special relationship with him.
On a lighter note, I'm glad you were able to unplug while on vacation. I've been trying hard to do the same!
I'm so sorry to hear about your grandpa! I will definitely keep him in my thoughts and send many positive vibes your way. Hang in there.
What a wonderful relationship you have with your grandparents, so sweet of them to keep those cards all these years. Reading about it had me tearing up over here so I can only imagine how much it meant to you to get that package. Here's hoping your dear grandpa is well again very soon!
I hope he gets better. You are in my thoughts!
so sorry to hear about your sweet grandpa, I am sending positive thoughts yours & their way!
I just found this again, when I meant to comment -- Hope your grandfather is well? or happy, is that a safe wish? Sunshine thoughts your way!
Sending positive thoughts your way. :)
I'm so sorry to hear the news about your grandfather. My grandfather has been struggling recently, too, and it is just so difficult to watch. Sounds like you have a very special relationship with him.
On a lighter note, I'm glad you were able to unplug while on vacation. I've been trying hard to do the same!
Post a Comment