Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Shiny Happy People

Despite ending my nearly 32 year no-cavity streak today, I am one shiny, happy person.  You see-- I am writing this post on our new laptop!  Woo-hoo!  I am beyond excited.  The first thing I did was install virus protection, then loaded Firefox, then installed the Pin It and Subscribe buttons to my taskbar... and now finally I'm writing this post. 

A little more about this no-cavity-thing:  I went to the dentist a couple of weeks ago for my cleaning.  Before I even sat down, the dental assistant asked if I was still nursing.  When I told her no, she responded, "Well, I guess it's time to see if you're one of the lucky few that didn't get a cavity while pregnant and nursing!"  Of course, I assumed that I would be a-ok in the cavity department because I'd never had one before.  Come to find out, being pregnant and then going on a dairy-free diet* means nothing but no bueno for your teeth.  So, lucky me, I got a filling today.  Thankfully, the numbing agents worked, and I didn't feel a thing.  Honestly, I was a bit nervous since I had never had one before and didn't like the idea of a needle near my face.

*I just realized I may not have filled you in on the dairy-free life I led for seven months.  When Finley was in the hospital, the doctors realized that he had a cow's milk protein allergy, which is quite different from lactose intolerance. (Hopefully he will grow out of it within three years.  Our friend's son never did and has to use an Epi-pen if he's exposed to milk!) I was promptly put on a strict no-dairy diet.  Let me tell you-- everything has dairy/milk protein in it.  Everything.  Next time you're at the store, check the labels of things you buy.  You'd be surprised what you see-- I certainly was.  For the next seven months, I made a lot of things from scratch, which certainly didn't hurt the waistline.  When I stopped breastfeeding and began using my frozen breastmilk supply, I slowly introduced dairy back into my life... and within weeks put on five pounds!  Yikes. 

It's getting late, so I will check back in with you later.  It's good to be back!

Abbie

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails