Monday, July 18, 2011

A Decade

Today is a big day.  Actually, the past five days have been pretty special.  You see, ten years ago, the day after my mom's birthday, I made a choice that has changed my life forever.  I closed up my U-haul and began my trek to Colorado.  I was 21 and off for a new adventure.  I had never lived more than 4 hours from my parents, so this move was a big decision for me... especially because I made it just two weeks before I loaded up, which was completely unlike me.   Honestly, I was scared to death that I was making a huge mistake.

The next five days were a whirlwind.  My new roomie and I arrived in Steamboat the next day.  We had listened to Tony Furtado play the night before we left town.  When we showed up for a free concert slopeside two days later, there he was again.  It was a trip to see him in our new town-- almost like a beginning after an ending.

The next morning, I had a job interview lined up at a company that I had become quite familiar with in my position as the accountant for an outdoor store.  By Wednesday, I was working for that company.  Today marks my 10-year anniversary.  When I started, I was a mere 21 year old.  I am going to be 32 next month.  It absolutely blows my mind how quickly the years have gone.  I never would have imagined the friendships I would have made along the way.  It has truly been an amazing experience.  Sure, there have been bumps along the road, but not many people can say they are still happy to work for a company after ten years.  I'm proud that I can say I am. 

I didn't know if I'd stay in Steamboat.  But, I'm so glad I did.  I wouldn't have met my husband, be working at a great company or have such a great group of friends.  This milestone deserves a little something... how about some wine?

(No Photoshop here-- this really is me with a giant bottle of wine-- my contribution to our mommy happy hour a few weeks ago.)
Abbie

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails