Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Oopsy-Daisy

Wow. I kind of dropped the ball on checking in, didn't I? The trip to visit my grandparents was great... although whirlwind and tiring. I am thankful that I got to make the trip while I was still able to travel.

Grandpa looked better than I had expected. It threw me a bit to see him in a wheelchair. I think the highlight of my visit was hearing him ask, "Do you know who the father is?" when Grandma mentioned my pregnancy. I just about fell out of my chair and spit my drink in his face. He had moments of lucidity and others that left me feeling sad. Moments after asking me that hilarious question, he asked me how J's job in environmental engineering was going. I was stunned, as he hadn't seemed to remember J much over the past year.

Grandma seemed to be more frazzled than ever. I could tell that she found herself in despair since he went to the home. She's spending her free time visiting him, which I think is making it hard for him to transition well. I tried to have some very hard discussions with her regarding what needs to be done and what she personally needs to do to help him and herself make this move work... but she just wasn't ready to let go. It broke my heart.

But... I am still glad that I made the trip, even though I came home a bit sad. I can only hope that J and I will have such a long-lasting love as my grandparents.

Abbie

3 comments:

Kristen Kelley said...

Oh, my heart breaks for your grandparents; I can't imagine how difficult this must be for them. My prayers are with them! Glad your trip went well overall though. :)

M. Eileen said...

oh, that is so hard...when grandparents start to forget...def keeping your grandmother and grandfather in my thoughts!

Kristen Kelley said...

Oh, my heart breaks for your grandparents; I can't imagine how difficult this must be for them. My prayers are with them! Glad your trip went well overall though. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails