First, I'd like to say a big thanks to Minted. My personal journal and business cards were uber handy for the conference. My business logo was not yet ready, so I was in a pinch on what to do about cards. Cue Minted! They have some amazing designs. If you're on the lookout, you should give them a try. {Sidenote: my logo is now ready (of course, a week afterward!), and I'll share it soon.} I absolutely love, LOVE, my journal. I was furiously jotting down notes during each panel and had to remind myself to be present. {Don't head to my biz site listed on my card just yet! What a bummer that it's another thing that wasn't quite done before Alt, and I spent half my time explaining it as I handed out my cards. I'll be sure to give you a heads up when it's ready for you to have a look-see.}
I left in the wee hours last Wednesday morning, aka 4:30, aka over three hours before daylight.
It seemed like I was in SLC in no time. All it took was six and a half hours, passing 20 oversize load semis and their pilot cars and learning the only radio station available in Utah at 7am was a morning show called Mosh Pit. Easy peasy.
The first event: Dinner With... Wednesday night. I selected Frida's Bistro. The dinner was "with" Cargoh. {Have you heard of it? Think Etsy, but more curated and with none of the clutter to sift through.} Cariann & Paul were super friendly and chatted with me several times throughout the rest of the week. My special takeaway from dinner? A fabulous print from Zoe Pawlak and a full belly. I had the Pollo Poblano. All pics are from iPhone-- many apologies for the quality!
After dinner, I headed over to the Blog Brunch meet-up at Squatters. I quickly realized how long my day had gotten and headed back to the hotel, so I could get some much needed shut eye.
I'm saving the content from Thursday, Friday & Saturday for another post-- because it surely deserves a post of its own-- and am skipping ahead to the end of my stay. I knew I would be let down when the last design camp was over on Saturday, but I didn't have time to even think about it. As soon as the clock hit 5:30, I was running through the streets to meet my fabulous friend, Steph, her husband and six of their friends. Let's just say my memory had deceived me on how far the Energy Solutions Arena was from the Grand America Hotel... and it was dumping huge, wet snowflakes. By the time I showed up for drinks, I looked like a drowned rat. What a memory that made. I laughed it off and was thankful I decided to wear boots that day. We headed across the street to watch the Utah Jazz play the Minnesota Timberwolves. It was a lot of fun, and the time flew by. {This picture is deceiving because the players seemed so much bigger in person.}
After the game, we headed back to Steph's house and chatted for a bit until she finally admitted she was exhausted. I think this is becoming a pattern with my visits-- I'm constantly talking her ear off. I am so thankful that I was able to let myself down easy with a relaxing visit with an old friend.
The next morning, I reluctantly got up to start the long drive home. Somehow, that drive home always seems to be longer than it is on the way there. Heading back to reality, perhaps? 735 miles later, my drive ended much the way it started... in the dark and on snow.
I arrived home just in time to put the little one to bed after the sweetest hug a mom could hope for. I swear he grew as much as I did during those five days.
{Stay tuned for more Alt recaps... I won't leave you hanging!}







No comments:
Post a Comment