Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Updates...

I wanted to drop in to give you a quick update on my grandfather. Thank you to everyone who reached out to me with your kind words and to those of you who emailed me later to see how his health has progressed.

Due to my grandfather's age, they were not able to remove the large tumor that they found. He had cancer before-- back in the 80s-- and they used radiation pills at the time. Unfortunately, they did a number on his insides and are causing issues now, more than 20 years later, which is not helping his situation. When he was released from the hospital, he was moved to a physical rehabilitation facility. Because of his long hospital stay (about 50 days) with little movement, he had lost nearly 40 pounds and was having trouble walking more than a few steps. After a week, he was moved to a nursing home. I spoke to my grandmother numerous times, not only about how he was doing, but also about how she was coping. The stories she relayed to me nearly broke my heart. (Honestly, I'm trying not to get all teary-eyed right now!)

The day they moved him to the nursing home, he didn't really understand that he was going there for good. He had it in his head that he was being moved to another physical therapy place because this home does actually perform physical therapy, as well. (His Alzheimer's didn't help, either.) When Grandma came back the next day, it was obvious that he had realized what was happening. My grandfather is a very proud man and has always said that he would rather die than go to a home. He doesn't want to live without Grandma. Because of this, Grandma had tried as best as she could to not have to put him in a home. When I visited with them in December while attending my other grandmother's funeral, she broke down in tears at the thought of having to let him down and not being able to take care of him anymore. Over the next four months, he fell several times and would wonder 20 minutes later why his shoulder/leg/hip was hurting. A couple of times, Grandma had to call someone to help her pick him up. The last time he fell before going into the hospital, he was in the shower and was embarrassed that someone had to help him. Once he went into the hospital, Grandma knew that he wouldn't be able to come home again.

The day after he was admitted into the nursing home, Grandma sat with him at dinner. He pleaded with her to let him come home. He tried to convince her that she could do everything that the nurses were doing there and that he didn't need to be there. She had to tell him that she wanted him to come home more than anything, but that she just couldn't physically take care of him anymore. I can't imagine how hard, after 65 years of marriage, it would be to have that conversation. To avoid completely breaking down, she turned to leave. As she walked away, she could hear him pleading to go home. It breaks my heart just thinking about it.

After talking to her last week, I decided that I needed to book a trip to see them both. I was able to find something for three weeks from now and think it will lift their spirits to have someone else around. I also put together a little care package for Grandpa for Father's Day and dropped it in the mail. I hope that it will put a smile on his face to see the pictures and the card I included. I'm so afraid that he will go downhill quickly now that he's in a home, so it's important to me that I make the trip to see him now just in case.

In other news... last Tuesday, one of our dogs was attacked by our neighbor's dog (who probably weighs more than I do!). I was inside and missed the entire incident, but J was there to witness what happened. Our neighbor's dog is very aggressive to other animals-- so much so that her owner keeps her on a short lease right next to him. Unfortunately, his dog broke the leash to go after our dog right in front of our unit. The attack was short-lived, as she was pulled off of Chase (our 9 year-old German shorthair) by her owner rather quickly... but not until after she had punctured his leg in three places. He received a week's worth of meds from the vet. The meds ran out yesterday, and he was still not wanting to walk. I took him back this morning to find out that he has an infection in the bone and will now be on some heavy-duty meds for the next three weeks. It killed me that I had to carry him to the car this morning in order to take him to the vet. He is such a lively dog, and it has been crazy to see him just lay there for the past week. The vet is hopeful that the infection will clear up, but she's also being cautious. So... I ask that you keep our beloved dog in your thoughts while he's trying to heal over the next three weeks. Our dogs are such a huge part of our lives, and we just can't imagine ourselves without either one of them. (We also have a 10 year-old one-eyed lab/beagle mix named Jill.)

Lastly, a blogger friend is having quite a day today, so I wanted to send her some love. If you want to wish her a good day too, stop by and say hi to Cyndi of Southern Daze. Every once in a while, we all need a little "hope all is well".

Thanks for everything, friends!

Abbie

25 comments:

Hindsight Bride said...

Oh Hon, I'm so sorry to hear about your grandfather, and angry on your behalf about your poor dog. As a dog mom myself, I get so frustrated with dog owners who train dogs to be aggressive, or don't take the time to train aggressive dogs to be nice. My heart goes out to you.

Cara said...

Aww, Abbie, I started tearing as I was reading this too! You know, I imagine it might get overwhelming, but I have no doubt that if there was some (uber non-creepy) way to send cards or packages to your grandparents (bc eee, your grandmother's situation is also heartbreaking!), we'd all pitch in in a heartbeat. In the meantime, here's some hugs for y'all + also your poor poor dog!

EmilyB said...

Ohhh -- this post breaks my heart. I'm so sorry to hear of your grandfather's circumstance. And the mere thought of what your grandma has to go through -- well that's so difficult. I can't even imagine having to do that for my husband, but some things are beyond our control. I will pray for God to give them strength. AND then to top it all off -- your poor pup!! We have a neighbor dog that scares us all to death -- and that is definitely a nightmare of mine -- that the dog will break through the fence and who knows what he will do. Hugs to you. Life can be hard -- hopefully some rays of sunshine will shine through soon.

Patience said...

I will be keeping your Grandfather in my thoughts and prayers. I am sure you going to see them will lift their spirits.

I would call the humane society and have that dog taken away. You shouldn't fear for your safety or the safety of your animals. I would also be sending them my nice little vet bill. I will keep your sweet dog in my thoughts and prayers as well.

Amy Jo said...

It's been one of those days, and I feel like I've been holding back tears since I woke up this morning. No need to hold them back any longer....

I wish the best for your grandparents and I pray for a quick recovery for your dog.

Our Little Beehive said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandfather. Your grandparents both must be so heart broken.

I am also sorry to hear about your dog. I hope your neighbor is able to get help with her dog (I am assuming she doesn't intend for it to be aggressive) and that your dog gets better very soon.

Adrienne said...

OH I am so so sorry to hear about your grandpa! That would be so horrible for the both of them to have to go through that. I can't imagine. It sounds like your grandma is a strong lady! Hang in there!

Chic Runner said...

GAH! I will be praying for your grandfather and family! That is such a difficult situation to be in and I hope that your card does cheer him up :)

Also, I will be praying for your dog and the safe healing. That is seriously a bummer about the attack! I'm so sorry.

MrsKinne said...

I am sending good thoughts your way.

Mrs. Wedding Crasher said...

Wow when it rains it pours huh? I hope things get better, sweetie! Hang in there! You are in my thoughts!

southern daze said...

Oh Abbie! Reading about your grandparents got me all teary-eyed and it only intensified when I learned your dog is still sick...and then I saw you'd included a sweet note about me and I just about lost it! I am so lucky to have you as a friend and I'm so thankful to the blogosphere for introducing us! You've been such a huge source of support for me and I love that we can talk about anything. I just wish I lived closer so I could give you a hug...both as thanks for being you and because your grandparents are dealing with such a challenging time.

I'm sure your grandfather will LOVE your care package & I'm certain they'll both be beyond thrilled to see you on your visit. They are very lucky to have you :-)

Discovery Street said...

Thinking about our loved ones aging is SO hard...as I watch my parents age I have a hard time wondering who/how to take care of them.

and about your dog...ugh...thats the pits. I had to put down my dog less than a year ago because she got hit by a car...it was the worst day of my life. Thank Goodness there is hope for your pooch. Sending warm wishes and hugs.

tracie @ {tsj} photography said...

abby, i'm so sorry you're going through this hard time.

i pray for strength for your grandparents and peace for you all!!

and your poor doggie!!! prayers for him as well ...

Anonymous said...

Dear Abbie,

I am sorry for all that you're going through with your grandparent's and also for your poor dog! I can't imagine what your grandparent's are going through, so very sad but how honerable that they are honoring their wedding vows after so many years. I will add you and them to my prayers.

Mrs. B

Jacqui said...

Abbie I feel so bad for you hope your little furbaby is better soon!

Emily (The Culinary Couple) said...

Wow. Thanks for sharing this, Abby, and I will keep your grandparents in my thoughts and prayers. My own grandfather has been battling health issues recently (diabetes and now kidney disease). It is so difficult to watch these strong, proud men in our lives struggle. Just keep doing what you're doing -- I know he appreciates it!

*swankytables*Annette said...

So sorry, to hear about your grandpa and dog! My grandmother hated leaving her house after braking her hip, but now is doing better than ever and will be 97 in October!

We had the same thing happen to our beagle quite a few years back, so terrible, but at 14 he's blind but still kickin' it!

The Neo-Traditionalist said...

What a time you're having recently. I'm so sorry to hear about your grandfather's ill health and your poor pooch. I'm keeping your grandfather in my prayers and trust your poor pup is on the mend.

xx Katie

erica said...

hey there - i've been a non-blogger lately but just got caught up on all your recent posts. i'm SO sorry to hear about your grandfather and your dog - sounds like it's been tough around there lately! please know you and your family are in my prayers and i hope for a calm resolution to everything! hang in there, lady! i, too, teared up at your recent post. thanks for sharing even though i'm sure it was hard to write. *hugs*

Tara Vorhes said...

Oh Abbie - I am so sorry. How challenging these times must be for you and your family. Hugs for all of you!

And your poor pup! How heartbreaking! Hope everyone is ok...

The Neo-Traditionalist said...

What a time you're having recently. I'm so sorry to hear about your grandfather's ill health and your poor pooch. I'm keeping your grandfather in my prayers and trust your poor pup is on the mend.

xx Katie

erica said...

hey there - i've been a non-blogger lately but just got caught up on all your recent posts. i'm SO sorry to hear about your grandfather and your dog - sounds like it's been tough around there lately! please know you and your family are in my prayers and i hope for a calm resolution to everything! hang in there, lady! i, too, teared up at your recent post. thanks for sharing even though i'm sure it was hard to write. *hugs*

BeeHive said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandfather. Your grandparents both must be so heart broken.

I am also sorry to hear about your dog. I hope your neighbor is able to get help with her dog (I am assuming she doesn't intend for it to be aggressive) and that your dog gets better very soon.

EmilyB said...

Ohhh -- this post breaks my heart. I'm so sorry to hear of your grandfather's circumstance. And the mere thought of what your grandma has to go through -- well that's so difficult. I can't even imagine having to do that for my husband, but some things are beyond our control. I will pray for God to give them strength. AND then to top it all off -- your poor pup!! We have a neighbor dog that scares us all to death -- and that is definitely a nightmare of mine -- that the dog will break through the fence and who knows what he will do. Hugs to you. Life can be hard -- hopefully some rays of sunshine will shine through soon.

Hindsight Bride said...

Oh Hon, I'm so sorry to hear about your grandfather, and angry on your behalf about your poor dog. As a dog mom myself, I get so frustrated with dog owners who train dogs to be aggressive, or don't take the time to train aggressive dogs to be nice. My heart goes out to you.

Related Posts with Thumbnails