Monday, September 21, 2009

Our Wedding: Getting Ready

As I mentioned last week, our wedding budget was a bit on the small side. Despite this, I knew that I wanted to have my hair done by a pro. Unfortunately, my hair didn't come out anything like my inspiration pics that I took with me for both my trial and day-of appointments. Did it ruin our wedding? Of course not. Was I disappointed? You betcha. I didn't feel like I looked like "me". I was thisclose to hopping in the shower when I got back to my room and starting from scratch-- but I stopped myself when I realized it could end up looking worse! So, what did I want my hair to look like? Relaxed, romantic, undone and messy... in a low crazy bun.
^via SWS Mag
What did I get? Totally "done" with about a can of hairspray. Bummer. I got compliments on it and never let on that it wasn't what I wanted... except to my step-mom and mom who came over to try to work some magic on it before the photographer arrived. The bigger bummer... the stylist did not even attempt to do anything with my bangs, so I found myself doing this when I should have been chilling. Check out the pic later in the post to see how my bangs became a total fail before the ceremony even started! *I actually wish I would have cut my hair off before the wedding instead of waiting so long, but hindsight is 20/20. Right?
While I would have liked to have had a pro do my makeup, it just wasn't in the dwindling budget. I'm one of those girls whose makeup routine involves mascara and Burt's Bees... and sometimes a little cheek stain. That's all, folks. I was smart enough to know that wasn't going to cut it on our wedding day. Two weeks before the wedding, I went to Denver for my dress fitting and managed to squeeze in a trip to Sephora while I was there. I think I saw the associate (who happened to work at Bobbi Brown for over 15 years prior to the Sephora stint) develop a slight tic when I explained why I was there and what my "routine" entailed. Within minutes I was whipped into shape and walking out the door armed with a slew of products and a heck of a lot more confidence... looking absolutely freakin' fabulous. I was shocked at the transformation. My pocketbook was crying a bit, but I didn't feel as bad spending the money on something I could actually keep after the wedding. Here's the list of products that I used:

Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer - Oil Free - Nude

NARS Lipstick - Christina

Laura Mercier Second Skin Cheek Colour - Rose Bloom


MAKE UP FOR EVER Aqua Eyes - Pearly Brown 2L


Laura Mercier Pressed Powder - Translucent

Anastasia Tinted Brow Gel - Caramel

shu uemura Eyelash Curler

Too Faced Absolutely Flawless Therapeutic Herbal Concealer - Hollywood Medium

Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion - 0.34 oz Original
I used eyeshadow I already had... and my something borrowed ended up being my mom's waterproof mascara after I forgot mine at home. The process and the better-than-average results considering it was DIY by a self-professed amateur:
What's with the weird swoop at the top of my not-quite-a-bun?!The bangs have a mind of their own already... and I hate that weird bump behind them.I would highly recommend Sephora for your makeup needs. They save your purchasing history, so you never have to remember what shade it was that you've been using. Don't have one nearby? Log on to Ebates and order through their online store! I'm serious about this Ebates thing-- I don't order anything online without checking to see if I can do it through them first. Why not have more moolah in your pocket??

Abbie

18 comments:

Ramirez Family said...

Cute photos. Thanks for sharing...and your hair looked really good, so dont worry. All the curl feel out of my hair on my wedding though, so I feel your pain.

I love reading your blog. Hope you get a chance to check mine out and start following =)

Mrs. Potts said...

You looked beautiful on your wedding day. I do understand what you mean - my hair was not what I had hoped it would be either.

Brittney said...

I TOTALLY had the same thing happen. I had a trial run (for my bridals) and loved it all except the front... so the day of the wedding, I brought pics of my hair (inspiration, and actually a picture from the salon when I got my hair done for bridals) and it looked great in the front, but I hated the back... my BM's all told me it looked good... but I still look at my pictures and dislike it :/ - but I think your hair looked great! sorry about your bangs :(

erica said...

Well I think you looked FABULOUS (hair included)!! But I totally understand what you mean about the vision you had and then how it turned out. Good for you for getting on with you big day in great spirits anyway. Again, you were gorgeous!

southern daze said...

Your old makeup routine sounds quite similar to mine and I can assure you I would not have looked as amazing as you did if I had to do my own makeup on my wedding day (luckily I had a friend to do it). Abbie, your makeup looked awesome! Your hair was adorable too but I understand how disappointing it must have been not to look like yourself. The good news is that you still look great and you'll have a great story to tell years later (the picture of you working on your bangs is classic!)

Preschool Ponderings said...

I have completely given up on inspiration photos because they can never be recreated, but you still looked absolutely gorgeous!

Julia said...

Your hair did look good even though it wasn't what you had in mind, and your makeup is beautiful!

M. Eileen said...

i love sephora! You look beautiful, but I understand hair frustration I felt the same way- but I think you looked gorgeous!

Beth Dunn said...

I think you look perfect! xoxo

Padgett Hoke said...

your dress is gorgeous, your hair looked great and you must have had the best time ever! can't wait to see more photos!

ps - I gave you a blog award because I love your posts and your great taste!

CRICKET said...

I think you look beautiful. I had hair issues on my wedding day too.

deliciously organized said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! You looked beautiful and congrats! I love your dress!

alissa said...

its frustrating you didnt get what you wanted. BUT you look amazing!

LauraAnn said...

You looked absolutely beautiful! I was a nervous wreck the day of the wedding in regards to my hair. My hair has a mind of its own so who knows what it will do from one day to the next.

I can't wait to see more pictures from you big day! :-)

Blair Friedeman said...

I know it is not what you wanted but you do look absolutely stunning!:)

Johanna said...

Hi Abbie,
I've really enjoyed reading all of your wedding posts. You look beautiful in the photos. Thanks for checking out whirlybird!

5 Star Weddings said...

Love this flower hair accessory, so cute.

tina said...

You looked gorgeous! You have lovely skin.

Related Posts with Thumbnails