Sunday, January 10, 2010

I Get By With a Little Help From My Friends...

This little blog of mine has "introduced" me to so many friendly faces around the interwebs. I've thoroughly enjoyed swapping ideas, gifts, cards, and comments with you. While it can be hard to convince my husband that my "blog friends" are real, I've truly felt like I know so many of you. Like buddies that I never see but pick right back up where we left off within minutes of seeing each other again. The only thing is... we've never really met, and I don't really know most of you. That is... until this past Friday.

I happened to notice on two different blogs last weekend that the writers were coming to where I live. I commented on both blogs saying I wished I had known so we could meet or I could give advice on places to go. Well, one blogger just happened to reply that she hadn't left yet... so long story short, we exchanged numbers, then emails, then texts before meeting up for lunch on Friday. I am so glad we did!

I finally got to meet the lovely author of Handful of Treasures. She began following me during the wedding process and even left me a nice shout-out on her blog the day before our wedding. The funny thing-- I had no idea who to expect when we met. My mug has been plastered all over this blog from day one, yet Cara prefers to live a life of mystery {completely understandable}. She will probably laugh when I say that I expected a tall blonde* {I'm even laughing at this one right now!} So, I found myself waiting at the door of the restaurant thinking she wasn't there yet, until I noticed her waving at me from a table. She wasn't tall, or blonde... but she was an absolute doll. We had such a blast chatting about everything from my post on Thursday to the economy, real estate, blogging anonymously {or wishing we were sometimes!}, our husbands, missed 10 year reunions... maybe I should just stick with "everything"! I was genuinely disappointed that I had to go back to work. I have to give a huge shout-out to the Texas girl for braving the -26 temps that morning! Needless to say, I completely understood when she said she wasn't a fan of snowsports! I honestly can't wait to see her if she comes back this time next year.

If you haven't checked her blog out before, you should. She has a great eye for pretties, loves weddings and photography... and seems to know her way around Polyvore like nobody's business. I, for one, am envious of her skills.

Coming my way in the future? Definitely let me know!!** You better believe I'll be letting you know if I'm swinging through your 'hood. Steph-- I've got my eyes on you next! I'll come bearing mason jars. ;) Cyndi-- We'll meet one of these days!

*I totally picture anonymous bloggers in my head based on what I suspect they look like. Do you do that, too? Same with phone convos and emails.
**As long as you're not some SWF/stalker/psycho type. Then, the deal's off.

Abbie

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

How fun that you got to meet a blogging friend!

I started reading someone's blog recently and we found out we live only 45 minutes away from each other. And we have a few of the same real life friends. {She went to college in the town I know live in} Sometimes the blogosphere seems so small! We talk through email and our blogs all the time about all kinds of stuff. We even pray for each other. And we have never met!! We are hoping to meet up sometime soon to hang out.

My hubs siblings and their families are in Durango Colorado so occasionally we go to Co. We were just there this past August. Not sure exactly where you are.

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

p.s. nice name! :)

Abby

Victoria said...

Well, if you ever come to Houston, let me know! :)

Anonymous said...

I can't wait for you to come here! I reallllllly hope that we get to meet soon!! Lance thinks the same thing about my "blogger friends"...he looks at me funny when I talk about you guys. and don't worry...I'm not a crazy psycho killer...just someone who is trying to plan a super awesome wedding :)

oh and I totally imagine what anonymous bloggers look like in my head too. :)

Cara said...

Love this! It was fabulous meeting you! I hoped I hadn't seemed like I was rushing -- I'm always a bit self-conscious and overly aware that I might be causing the teeniest inconvenience, so I was a tad worried about keeping you late + the random strangers waiting for a table -- I know, don't we both need to work on being a bit more selfish sometimes :D? And, sidenote: funny, but you're not the first person who's assumed I look like, well, your assumptions :D Again, take care of yourself + see you again, I hope!

Couture Bowl said...

I do the same thing with those anonymous bloggers! I tired to stay anon for a while but I always like reading blogs where people are more open so I've been trying to open up a bit!

emily said...

I always tell Jon about "someone I know" when talking about the people who write the blogs i follow :) And, I always think it's great when "people I know" follow the same blogs I do. I feel like we share a secret...
If you ever come south don't be shy!

Kim @ Inspired Goodness said...

It's so nice to meet fellow blog friend's in real life. Rarely does it happen, but I still look forward to being at events and someone coming over to say hello.

There's so much in meeting someone in person that transpires over the interweb - nothing can really match that!

Anyhow, just wanted to say hello - and thank you very much for your birthday wishes. You commented on my blog and I'm a little late replying!!

thanks so much for brightening my day!!

Kim @ Inspired Goodness said...

It's so nice to meet fellow blog friend's in real life. Rarely does it happen, but I still look forward to being at events and someone coming over to say hello.

There's so much in meeting someone in person that transpires over the interweb - nothing can really match that!

Anyhow, just wanted to say hello - and thank you very much for your birthday wishes. You commented on my blog and I'm a little late replying!!

thanks so much for brightening my day!!

Couture Bowl said...

I do the same thing with those anonymous bloggers! I tired to stay anon for a while but I always like reading blogs where people are more open so I've been trying to open up a bit!

sjhouser said...

I can't wait for you to come here! I reallllllly hope that we get to meet soon!! Lance thinks the same thing about my "blogger friends"...he looks at me funny when I talk about you guys. and don't worry...I'm not a crazy psycho killer...just someone who is trying to plan a super awesome wedding :)

oh and I totally imagine what anonymous bloggers look like in my head too. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails