Saturday, July 25, 2009

Our Ceremony

Prelude: Vitamin String Quartet "I'm Yours"

Processional: Vitamin String Quartet "All You Need is Love"

Opening Words: Friends, we have been invited here today to share with J and Abbie a very important moment in their lives. In the years they have been together, their love and understanding of each other has grown and matured, and now they have decided to live their lives together as husband and wife.

Words by Officiant/Intro

Giving of Marriage (Read by Officiant):
Each of you are here today because you bring something special to the lives of J and Abbie. Some of you have known one or both of them for years - and some of you are meeting one of them for the very first time today. But whether you’re an old friend or a newly acquired relation, you have a special place in their hearts. Likewise, you have a special purpose. As beloved family and friends, it is you to whom they’ll turn in the coming years, whether in joy or in sorrow. It is you with whom they’ll share their happiness, and you to whom they’ll bring their pain. You will watch their marriage mature; you will watch their children grow. And when hard times come, and the loving support of friends and family is needed, J and Abbie hope to be able to turn to you, just as they will turn to each other. And so they ask that you commit to them, as they are committing to one another. That just as they pledge to support and protect the other, you pledge to support and protect their relationship, today and always. When prompted, please answer “We do”.

Do you offer this man and woman your blessing as husband and wife? Please say, we do.


Attendees say
(We do.)

And do you offer their marriage your support, as loving friends and family? Please say, we do.


Attendees say
(We do.)

Reading: Love is a temporary madness; it erupts like volcanoes and then subsides. And when it subsides you have to make a decision. You have to work out whether your roots have so entwined together that it is inconceivable that you should ever part. Because this is what love is. Love is not breathlessness, it is not excitement, it is not the promulgation of eternal passion. That is just being in love, which any fool can do. Love itself is what is left over when being in love has burned away, and this is both an art and a fortunate accident. Those that truly love have roots that grow towards each other underground, and when all the pretty blossoms have fallen from their branches, they find that they are one tree and not two.

Words by Officiant

Reading: Treat yourselves and each other with respect, and remind yourselves often of what brought you together. Give the highest priority to the tenderness, gentleness and kindness that your connection deserves. When frustration, difficulty and fear assail your relationship - as they threaten all relationships at one time or another - remember to focus on what is right between you, not only the part which seems wrong. In this way, you can ride out the storms when clouds hide the face of the sun in your lives - remembering that even if you lose sight of it for a moment, the sun is still there. And if each of you takes responsibility for the quality of your life together, it will be marked by abundance and delight.

Words by Officiant Reading (by an 8 year-old):To keep your marriage brimming, With love in the loving cup, Whenever you’re wrong, admit it; Whenever you’re right, shut up.

Officiant Reads: Union by Robert Fulghum You have known each other from the first glance of acquaintance to this point of commitment. At some point, you decided to marry. From that moment of yes to this moment of yes, indeed, you have been making promises and agreements in an informal way. All those conversations that were held riding in a car or over a meal or during long walks - all those sentences that began with “When we’re married” and continued with “I will and you will and we will”- those late night talks that included “someday” and “somehow” and “maybe”- and all those promises that are unspoken matters of the heart. All these common things, and more, are the real process of a wedding. The symbolic vows that you are about to make are a way of saying to one another, “You know all those things we’ve promised and hoped and dreamed- well, I meant it all, every word.” Look at one another and remember this moment in time. Before this moment you have been many things to one another- acquaintance, friend, companion, lover, dancing partner, and even teacher, for you have learned much from one another in these last few years. Now you shall say a few words that take you across a threshold of life, and things will never quite be the same between you. For after these vows, you shall say to the world, this- is my husband, this- is my wife.

Our Personal Vows:

I, J, take you, Abbie, to be my wife, my partner in life and my one true love. I will cherish our union and love you more each day than I did the day before. I will trust you and respect you, laugh with you and cry with you, loving you faithfully through good times and bad, regardless of the obstacles we may face together. I give you my hand, my heart, and my love, from this day forward for as long as we both shall live.

I, Abbie, promise to give you, J, the best of myself and to ask of you no more than you can give. I promise to respect you as your own person and to realise that your interests, desires and needs are no less important than my own. I promise to share with you my time and my attention and to bring joy, strength and imagination to our relationship. I promise to grow along with you, to be willing to face changes in order to keep our relationship alive and exciting. I promise to love you in good times and in bad, with all I have to give and all I feel inside in the only way I know how. Completely and forever.

Officiant’s “Repeat After Me” Vows

Ring Vows

Closing

Declaration of Marriage

Announcement of Husband and Wife

Recessional: Jackie Wilson "(Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher"

Abbie

5 comments:

Emily (The Culinary Couple) said...

We're using Union by Robert Fulghum, too. I think it's just beautiful! Can't wait to hear details about your big day!

erica said...

I love the outline of your ceremony. Congrats, Mrs! Must. see. pictures. I loved planning alongside you, too! Peace out :)

HLB said...

congratulations!

I found your blog while blog surfing and it's beautiful! I can't wait to see pictures.

I sat here and read all the way back to when you first started this blog! I feel like I know you!!!

Congratulations times a million.

JAMIE said...

Such a sweet ceremony!

Court said...

I finally just got caught up reading your blog from the beginning. What a beautiful ceremony, gave me goosebumps reading it! Congratulations and best wishes!

Related Posts with Thumbnails