Remember this post about my winnings from blog-stalking? I'm planning on giving this amazing card to my friend, Molly, and I promised to tell you why... stick with me here:
I've struggled with my self-image for about a year now. My main problem was that I had gone through changes in my job and living situation over the past few years and had kind of not looked out for "me"... everything else came first. When I moved to CO seven years ago, I was a runner. I ran to keep myself sane, but I had been able to do it year-round in AR. I wasn't able to do that in my new community unless I wanted to break my leg running on ice or face the crowded gym in hopes that there was an opening on the treadmill (never happens, by the way). I went through a kick where I went to the gym, took classes, and looked like it. Then, the job change happened. So... I stopped. I spent more time behind my desk and not taking lunch breaks. All of a sudden, I woke up one morning and realized I had completely let myself go-- I mean 20 extra pounds on my petite, not quite 5'1" frame! Where did this roll come from... and that one? Why are my clothes so dang tight?! I had never had to worry about what I ate before... probably because I had been exercising... so this really threw me for a loop. (I know... waaa, waaa, waaa.)
One day in July, I was getting my hair cut by my friend, Molly, whose wedding is coming up next month. We were talking about how we had just realized how much our inactivity had affected us. She confided in me that she had joined Weight Watchers a couple of weeks prior and mentioned they have weekly meetings every Monday. I told her that I just might go. (Apparently, she had gone because a friend had wanted to go, but the girl never showed up... so her faith in me showing up was little to none). That following Monday, I actually showed up. I couldn't believe it myself, to be honest. For some reason, I was a bit weirded out at first. Because I'm petite and not overweight by any means, I was worried about how I would be perceived. I didn't tell anyone I was going... not even J (more on that later in the post). That Monday was July 21st. Five weeks later, I've lost 7.4 lbs! It's not a diet so much, as a change in the way I view food. I am super excited that I made the decision to go.
I did eventually tell J that I was going to WW. You may wonder why I waited. Personally, I wanted to convince myself that I was actually going to stick with the plan and see results before I mentioned anything to anyone, including J. After four weeks on the program, I decided to tell him. He was extremely supportive... and then admitted that Molly's fiance' had spilled the beans after the first meeting! He understood that I needed to prove to myself that I was going to make progress and didn't get upset that I hadn't told him. I explained the program to him, so he's now able to be more understanding of my dietary decisions.
When I attended my first meeting, I did get a little flack from an acquaintance that was already on the program. She didn't say anything at the actual meeting. Instead, she decided to confront me at the grocery store afterward. I was pumped because I had just made the decision to tackle my eating head on, so I was extremely taken off-guard when this girl approached me. I left the grocery store and immediately called Molly (practically in tears, mind you) for support. The girls has only been to one meeting since that evening, and I know that it has nothing to do with the fact that I'm attending. I'm convinced that some people will take their frustrations out on others instead of dealing with their own issues, but the situation still bothered me. Either way, I know that I've made the right decision for me, no matter how other people feel about it.
I've had a few friends make comments about how I look just fine and think it's stupid for me to join the program. They don't seem to realize that I'm finally doing something for me and don't really care if they're on-board. The one friend that I've been able to count on for support through the process has been Molly. We email and text each other when we go over my a million points, share great recipes and high-five each other with each pound we shed. We are each other's cheerleaders. I even made a stink this week when they forgot to acknowledge her 10 pound over-all loss so far. (That's a big freakin' deal!!)
So... that was the long story about why I'm giving Molly the funniest card ever. I hope you hung in there! I will be posting progress and recipe ratings in the future. Stay tuned!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







3 comments:
this is such a wonderful post. thank you for sharing.
i am 5'8, and started college weighing 125. i gained 40 pounds by the middle of my sophomore year and didn't recognize myself. i went up a lot of sizes and really felt huge because of my height and weight. i carried all of that weight and unhappiness around all through college-- and never had a boyfriend.
when i left college and moved to south carolina i start losing weight. i lost 30 pounds of the weight in six months. just by exercising. when i got engaged i knew that my stress level was going to rise and i'd probably turn to food, so i joined weight watchers with a coworker who had already lost 40 pounds, too. people told me a few times during the meetings that they didn't know why i was there and i was so thin. i told them that i struggle with food and i had been to the heavy side and was so afraid of going back. i think they understood once i opened up about my story. but i was almost more ashamed there of being thin. strange feelings are always associated with weight and body image.
anyway... i really watched what i ate and exercised like crazy before the wedding. now that it's over i've kind of fallen off the wagon. roller coaster ride. so i joined weight watchers online about 4 weeks ago. i've lost 6 pounds so far and i'm almost back to wedding weight.
sorry to put all of this on here. i've never wanted to tell my story on my own blog. my husband has never seen pictures of me in my bigger days. i've almost reached my pre-college weight and i'm petrified of gaining those 40 pounds again.
good luck with the program! it's such a great way to look at food and learn about yourself!
I've gone to WW to lose what would be considered a "small amount of weight" to most of the people there. For some reason, I never really worried about what other people thought... But I can see how stressful that would be. You are supposed to be there for support - not for scrutiny.
I'm glad you have someone like Molly to cheer you on.
I am right there with you all. I gained 20 pounds on a 5 foot frame, and I'm not overweight, but I am "rolly polly." My husband and I started doing Body For Life, and we LOVE IT! It definitely helps that we are doing this together, because there have been many times where I would have loved to cheat BIG time (thankfully we have one "free day" a week!) I feel your pain as to not being yourself... I went into a slight depression, and it took me forever to realize that it was because I wasn't really "me".
Great post!
Post a Comment