First off, we have way too much leather, but a new couch is not in the works until we move. (I made the concession with J when we first moved in, but I can't stand it.)
Living Room:

We need a bigger rug. Maybe one of the ones from this post. You can see just a bit of one of the dogs in the bottom left corner of the next pic.

Dining Room/Kitchen:

We put in the granite countertops and a new sink and fixture. What you don't see is the leather counterstools... as I said, too much leather.Entryway:
We put in the hardwood floors and molding.Spare Room 1:

I made the headboard out of my dad's old fence from his old house, so I can't really get rid of it. The pictures are old Steamboat skiing pics that we always get comments about when people come to visit.Spare Bath:
We put in all new fixtures, countertops and sinks. This half-wall used to be a full doorway that we had knocked out. It was just too claustrophobic. What you don't see is the fun zebra bath mat and the needlepoint on the wall that says "To a Friend's House, the Road is Never Long." This room is pretty much done already. We went more neutral because we knew we were going to put our place on the market.
Laundry Room:
This might not look like much, but you should see what it looked like before. There were big holes in the drywall that had never been patched before we bought the place. The room wasn't painted, and the floor was bare. I think the neutral tone makes it a lot more condusive to enjoying doing laundry. Is that possible?Stairwell up to Spare Room 2:
Spare Room 2:I hate this room... everything about it. It's the whatever was left over room.
Master Bedroom:
I've had this armoire since my sophomore year of college... that's right, 10 years! I would love to get a new dresser and move the flat screen from the living room up here. J would love to get a bigger tv for the living room, hence moving the one we already have.Master Bath:


Would love one of the shower curtains from this post.
Spare Room 3 (aka office):

The desk is tiny, but I hate to buy a new one until we know we're not going to try to move next year. Again, rug is too small. Could move the one from the living room up here.

Any ideas on some subtle decorating changes I could make? I would love to hear your ideas!







5 comments:
Hey there,
I read Julia's blog and came across yours. I don't have any decorating advice, but I just wanted to let you know that I'm in the same boat. When my husband and I were married a year ago, we decided to wait until after the wedding happenings settled down to put my place on the market. Well, that wasn't the best decision- my place has been on the market since March and it's very stressful!
I just wanted to say, hang in there...it WILL sell! I hear September is a good month for real estate! I'll keep my fingers crossed for both of us! Best of luck!
I feel your pain. I flipped a house that really looks pretty great and due to the housing market it is still sitting. It's so frustrating! I get the same thing with tons of showing and a lot of positive feedback. Hope it turns around for you.
You have such a lovely home! And I sincerly hope, from the bottom of my heart, that the right buyer will come along straight away to call your place their new home.
I know that stagers like to epmahsize the importance of making a space feel bigger, and I actually don't think you even need a rug in the living room. The coffee table (and is that a fabulous plant underneath?) are great for the space, and by having no rug, it will make the room seem bigger -- with less distractions for the eye. Although I love your mix of pillows, for the "average" buyer, you could just keep one or two so that the eye is drawn to the walls and such.
I LOVE your kitchen!!! There is a nice mix of old and new inspirations.
I also love that you made your headboard out of your dad's old fence :) What a nostalgic way to upcycle. Have you thought about painting the fence? That might give your entire room a different type of feel.
For the bathrooms...perhaps old apothecary jars filled with shells, buttons, or any sort of texturized collection may be interesting...or you can use "non-bathroom" elements you have in your house to give the powder rooms some more personality. I did a post on some ideas a few weeks ago here: http://poetichome.com/2008/09/03/repurposed-vintage-bathroom-inspiration/
Your office is so fabulous! I love the slanted walls -- have you thought about flipping your desk to be pushed against the wall, and then replacing the office chair with perhaps a upholstered sitting chair? I also don't know if a throw rug is needed in this room -- it's already very warm and inviting.
And my favorite "decorating" trick of all is plants, plants, plants! Adding even just one plant to a room can make a world of difference...it brings an instant energy of life.
Forgive my mini-essay here...but yes, if you ever need a sounding board or want to bounce ideas, don't hesitate to send me a message :) I'm sure the right buyer for your wonderful home is just around the corner!!
Your home is adorable! I can see many types of buyers enjoying it. I love watching home shows and consistently hear the generic advice that good lighting, zero clutter and luxurious baths sell homes! Best of luck to you! Let us know when you get the right buyer!
Your house is pretty!!!! Thanks for sending me the link to see your mirror.. .our beds are similiar. I love the bed you made out of the old fence.. how clever!
x Trina
Post a Comment