Wednesday, February 24, 2010

The Maze That is Ikea... & A Fun Meet-up

I have finally gone through the 1000+ posts in my Google Reader and am starting to recover from my whirlwind trip to Utah. We left on Sunday with snow and icy roads, but we made it safe and sound at Ikea just before 1pm.
This shows you the majority of what I bought at Ikea:

We spent 4.5 hours at Ikea on Sunday, so we had to wait until Monday to go to Old Navy and a HUGE Forever 21. (It was two stories and was housed in an old department store... Monday morning = no elbows/fighting girls for fitting rooms!) I wasn't able to find most of my Forever 21 finds online. I also bought a tie-front sweater on clearance for $8 and a really cute green top for vacation. I almost bought out the store, but I kept myself in check. Can you tell I like to buy in multiples? See the big floppy hat? I bought J's niece a matching one from Old Navy, so we'll be twins on vacation.
What Didn't I Buy for Vacation
After shopping, we stumbled upon something that I crave weekly and never get to eat because the nearest one is 3 hours away...
Well worth the 6.5 hour drive!! I wanted to get some to go so I could eat it for dinner, but I was afraid the car would be taken over by the smell.

Enough about shopping... Sunday night, we met up with fellow blogger, Stephanie. I was excited to meet her face-to-face after emailing back and forth for months. I told Jen that I felt like I was getting ready for a first date. I had on entirely too much makeup and lamented about how much I hated my hair right now. Isn't it funny how we worry about what others will think when we've been building a friendship for months? It's almost like online dating! Stephanie was an absolute sweetheart and went out of her way to pick us up for dinner. Unfortunately, we were thisclose to an accident on the way to dinner. It was almost like we were witnessing it in slow motion. Glass, metal, plastic flying everywhere, fluids leaking out of cars, airbag deployment... the whole nine yards. Scary!! Once we got seated, conversation started to flow. Interestingly, we had friends/coworkers that knew each other... small world! Dinner came to an end in no time. Just call me Grace because I nearly fell on our way out of the restaurant! You know it's not pretty when a waitress asks if you're okay. Ha, ha!

After one more trip to Ikea (I chose to stay in the car this go-round), we were on our way back with a car that was a bit more weighed down than the day before.
Did you think that was the end of the story? Not so fast, my friends. We were about 2 hours from home when the headlights went out. WHAT?! Holy crap. This is elk country, folks. After watching the accident the night before and knowing of one the weekend prior as well, I was not excited to start this new adventure. We soon realized that we could have light... but that meant we would be bright-lighting anyone that came our way. Fortunately, we were in an area with low traffic, but we started seeing more and more as we got closer. We had some ticked off travelers coming at us, but there was nothing we could do. We stopped at a gas station an hour from home and realized the 40 degree temps in Utah were a distant memory, as we stepped out in below zero frigid air.

We eventually made it to Jen's house, where we moved my items from her car to mine, and I was on my way. Just in time to hit the sack, so I could make a 7am meeting at work the next morning...

The things we do for IKEA.

Abbie

15 comments:

Shaina said...

Oh nooooo I love Ikea but we had that awful dresser and just finally replaced it. Every drawer sagged and broke - with minimal clothing in it! - about a year after we bought it. Definitely NOT one of Ikea's finest ... just wanted to warn you!

tracie @ {tsj} photography said...

fun, fun, fun!!!! LOVE all your finds!!

M. Eileen said...

my goodness i love chik fil-a and ikea!!!!!!!!!! I am so glad you had a good time!

EmilyB said...

WOW! Now that is what I call a successful shopping trip! I can't believe you could fit everything in your car! The furniture is awesome (makes me wish my IKEA was closer), the clothes are super cute....AND the chick-fil-a is totally the icing on the cake! Fun!

Natalie said...

Sounds like you had a great time. I stll have not made it back to the IKEA that is close to me. It overhwhelmed me lol!

Cara said...

l.o.l. LOVE this, all of it! Too bad you missed some of the items you were hoping to get, but shoot, it looks like y'all scored pretty well :) Looks like the best shopping trip for 6.5/13 hours for sure!! And i do understand about Chick-Fil-A -- I'm impressed there's one in Utah even :D! Can't wait to see pics of all your new items in action!

southern daze said...

I'm loving everything you got at Ikea and think you're gonna look fantastic on vacation! Looks like you had a very productive trip and it must have been so much fun meeting a fellow blogger. I love that you compared it to online dating! When I met Erin in person I was a nervous wreck until I saw her and it was like we'd been friends forever...because we had been (it was just via email).

Victoria said...

Sounds like fun! Well, not the accident part.. But the same headlight thing happened to me! Mine went out on my way home from work one night. I have a 45-minute drive! Well, everyone kept flashing me and if it weren't so dark, I could swear that some were cussing me out and flipping me off. :) I felt bad for blinding people, but what else was I supposed to do?? Glad you had a fun trip! When you're in Houston on your upcoming Texas vacay, we'll have to hit Ikea up again!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a fun trip!! I heart Chick-fil-a too. We didn't live anywhere near one in WA and I always craved it. {Don't be jealous} but now we have one about three blocks from our neighborhood. If I could mail you some I totally would!!

I love the striped dress{es} you got at Old Navy. I was wanting to get a few dresses to add to my wardrobe this spring. I tend to buy multiples of things that I really like. I used to be really bad about it but I still do it occasionally.

p.s. Everytime I wear my new socks I think of you!! :)

Christi said...

nice finds!!!! you did great!!

it is everlasting said...

Love love love your purchases!!! Ikea is so overwhelming but if you have a plan the opportunities are endless. And Chick-fil-a? Let's just say it is a VERY good thing that the closest one is 25 minutes away and inside a mall or I would be in even more trouble with my waistline!

Anonymous said...

what? i have been trying to convince my mom or my husband to do that exact same trip {minus the close call car collisions} i live in colorado and i want to go next time!
ps. my google reader seems to always say 1000+

birddogpress said...

what? i have been trying to convince my mom or my husband to do that exact same trip {minus the close call car collisions} i live in colorado and i want to go next time!
ps. my google reader seems to always say 1000+

Victoria said...

Sounds like fun! Well, not the accident part.. But the same headlight thing happened to me! Mine went out on my way home from work one night. I have a 45-minute drive! Well, everyone kept flashing me and if it weren't so dark, I could swear that some were cussing me out and flipping me off. :) I felt bad for blinding people, but what else was I supposed to do?? Glad you had a fun trip! When you're in Houston on your upcoming Texas vacay, we'll have to hit Ikea up again!

EmilyB said...

WOW! Now that is what I call a successful shopping trip! I can't believe you could fit everything in your car! The furniture is awesome (makes me wish my IKEA was closer), the clothes are super cute....AND the chick-fil-a is totally the icing on the cake! Fun!

Related Posts with Thumbnails