Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Update

For those of you who have wonderfully sent me "get well" messages-- here's a little update on my "condition". I have completed three physical therapy sessions so far, with another scheduled for tomorrow. To give you an idea of what takes place during my therapy, I thought I'd give you a quick recap:
-First up, I receive ultrasounds in my wrists. The waves almost feel like magnets pulling at the inside of my wrist. It's such a bizarre feeling. (I'm sure those of you who've been pregnant know what I'm talking about!) The other day it was set up too high, so the waves bounced off the back of my wrist and hurt like a mother. It can be pretty painful.
-Next, I get a deep tissue massage, aka torture. I have bruises all over my arms. Yesterday, I left with fingerprint marks. I usually feel like I've been beat up afterward.
-Finally, I get a dose of some uber-fun meds called Dexamethasone. The bandage looks like this:
(Yes, that's me after my first session. I HAD to take a pic for the blog!) The Dexamethasone is put in the - pocket with saline in the + pocket. See that thing in the middle? It's a battery pack! A triangular object attaches to the battery pack. Once it's turned on, it pulsates for three minutes, sending a sharp, stinging pins and needles feeling up my arms. If you've ever had an Imitrex shot for a migraine, then you would find the feeling similar with the addition of stinging. It's a blast. I have to keep these on for 2 hours once they've been "turned on". I've been dubbed Terminator, Bionic Woman and Robot by my coworkers. I've developed a beautiful red rash on my arms from the meds. FUN!

I still have to wear my splints. Actually, I have to wear them all the time-- on both wrists-- even to sleep in. I was officially diagnosed with bilateral carpal tunnel. Needless to say, they drive me crazy at this point. But, I'm keeping the big picture in mind and doing what I can to keep surgery as far from anyone's mind as possible!

I've also been limited to four hours of typing a day... SO, you may not be surprised to hear that all my posts for the past two weeks have been written in bulk and were scheduled! It's quite a bit easier for me to sit and write everything up in advance when I am feeling better on the weekend than to try to put everything together after I've been typing at work.

I appreciate all the love and support you've shown me during this difficult period. It's helping me keep my chin up! Thank you, my blogging buddies!!

Abbie

9 comments:

southern daze said...

It sounds awful! I'm in awe of your cheery disposition through the torture + pain and imagine your positive attitude will help you tremendously. Stay strong and keep your chin up, things WILL get better!

Blue-Eyed Bride said...

so this may be the only thing to cure a blogging addiction....

sorry i had to throw in a joke. i'm so sorry! i hope that you continue to heal quickly and that all the pain just goes away!

Catrina said...

Take care of yourself :)

ChelseaMarie said...

I feel your pain. I have to get Dexamethasone too and it is awful. My PT suggested using Milk of Magnesium if the patch leaves you red and it's like magic.

Chic Runner said...

WOW that looks hardcore :( Hope you are feeling better soon though, I will have to get hooked up to one of these though if I keep continuing to blog like I do. Gah.

it is everlasting said...

Oh honey that sounds just terrible, I can't imagine what the too strong waves feel like but it doesn't sound like fun. :/ Take care of yourself and hopefully the pain will be gone before you know it.

Jane said...

Ohhh that looks like no fun at all! Feel better, here's to a speedy recovery!

erica said...

So sorry to hear about all your pain! Sending happy thoughts and wishes for quick recovery your way! Thanks for updating us. Oh and I just read your comment on my blog about our running coincidences - crazy! Thanks for the encouragement ;)

beckylbranch said...

That is so cool you are from Cabot! I am from Conway and used to be stationed at Jacksonville Air Force base....I miss AR a lot sometimes :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails