Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Wedding Wednesday: Children

With the growth of our guest list, the number of children attending our wedding has skyrocketed. I think it's very important to have activities that will keep children busy during the festivities. While browsing blogs, I stumbled upon this great personalized wedding coloring book. After Halloween, I picked up twenty packs of crayons for a total of 50 cents! I thought using this coloring book would be a fun, personal way to get kids involved.

Another idea I had was to have these Paper-source suitcases filled with fun items and toys. I'm afraid that may only work if we designate a children's table.
Another idea... covering the table with craft paper that the children can draw on... or individual placemats they can draw on, if we don't have a designated table.

Now is when I reach to you to see what you are planning on doing or did to entertain the children attending your reception. Hire a sitter? Have a children's table? What activities?

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

We had a "children's section." Yes, we also hired a sitter for the day, but she was actually my aunt's nanny so we knew her well.

The kids spent some time over there, but once the dancing started they were in the middle of the floor which was wonderful!

I just wanted to keep them entertained during cocktail hour and dinner so the parents could have at least SOME adult time. Really, they were only over there for the first two hours...tops.

Modern Maven said...

I totally agree with Mrs. Newlywed. A nanny is a must! In fact, I was a nanny at a few weddings myself. At one, the children were in the wedding. So I enjoyed the cocktail hour "with" them and then I whisked them off to the hotel for the reception so that their parents could party! At the other, they provided a private room off the reception / ceremony area. Granted it was a small / office and the child was an infant.


But as for child centered activities...I can't help you there as I don't think I ever was at a wedding with many small children to mind.

Lynsey said...

We are going to have a kids corner. My cousin is a first grade teacher and she has agreed to watch over the kids corner.

We are using the wedding coloring book that you posted about as well as having candy set up and toys and games.

We have so many kids coming to the wedding as well, so I know exactly what you are going through.

Anonymous said...

We will have a kids table, in a corner somewhere :) I am planning on covering it in Kraft paper and putting a little goodie bag (or box or whatever :) ) at each place setting with crayons, a coloring book, and little stuff... maybe a little paper crown, some toys... I saw a kind of cute wedding themed paper placemat at Oriental Trading Co. for like $3.99 per dozen. Oh, and little buckets of candy and such :) Here is the post i did on it: http://wemetinabar.com/2008/09/the-week-flies-by/

Amber said...

As a wedding planner I must say that setting up a kids area was so much fun. I don't know what your budget is what the age range of the children is but here are some of the things I've done.

1. A candy "bar". Adults usually have an adult beverage bar, but the kids got to partake in a candy bar. They were given decorative boxes and created their own candy assortment. This table was used by adults and children.

2. They had a special table. This table was made just for them, coloring paper, kid friendly decorations, little "presents", anything to keep them entertained.

3. Have some onsite toys. This was a lifesaver.

Hope this helped!

Amber

Related Posts with Thumbnails