Monday, December 15, 2008

When to Alter (Not to Be Confused with Altar)

I've lost so much weight (for my size) that my amazing dress is now huge on me. Really. Where it was supposed to hug, it now hangs. Not as attractive as it should be.

I live in a small town with one alterations place that does not do wedding dresses. I know of a great person back "home" in AR that is willing to do my dress. The key question is... when to alter? Direct flights out of my town only really occur regularly during ski season. Otherwise, I have to drive 3 and a half hours to Denver International Airport to fly out-- which usually happens in the wee hours of the morning. I have until the first week of April to leave and come back if I want to fly out of the local airport. Our wedding is in July.

I found a great flight for ... you won't believe this... $252 round trip!! BUT, it's in January. OR, I can fly out in March for $314, which still isn't bad. BUT, I could use the $62 towards the alterations. BUT, that would be a whole six months before the wedding. I don't plan to lose a lot of weight in those six months, but you never know what will happen. Even 5 more pounds might make a difference.

So, the key question is... when to alter?

4 comments:

PinkSass said...

Try to wait as long as possible. You will be surprised the weight you will lose right before the wedding without even trying. My lady has to pretty much remake my whole dress, including adding inches to the bottom. Hold out as long as you can!

Tara Vorhes said...

Try to wait till closer to the wedding. My final fitting was 2 weeks before my wedding and I lost weight during those 2 weeks so my dress was loose again! Maybe try an alterations place near Denver? The drive is inconvenient but doable for a day trip...

jaime said...

My dress was altered less than a month before the wedding. It didn't take him long to do the alterations (he had to re-bead the entire bottom after we hemmed it - ie., cut a foot off the bottom - and then added the bustle and altered the top.) I believe he had the dress a week for alterations.

Anonymous said...

I would wait a little longer. It's so hard to know how much more weight you are going to lose, especially when you have such great motivation. And good for you on already losing lots of weight!

Related Posts with Thumbnails