Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Weight Watchers Wednesday

Last week, our meeting leader discussed food pushers and guilt distributors. I have to admit that there are certain people I don't discuss my Weight Watchers journey with. I really hate to admit that one of those people is a bridesmaid. She is really good at trying to make me feel guilty about trying to better myself. I don't really understand it, so I've done my best not to bring it up around her. Unfortunately, she brings it up every time she sees me. When I got the girls together to give them their bridesmaid cards, she said, "Are you done with this crazy diet thing?!" I thought I was going to come unglued. Weight Watchers is not a diet. I eat everything I want to. I eat cheese dip and brownies. I eat bread, crackers, and chips. The difference between what I used to eat and now... portion control. So, naysayer... shut the hell up! If you are trying to better yourself, those close to you should be happy for you. It's hard to deal with it when they're not. Do your best, and don't let the naysayers get to you. They're just not on the same wavelength as you.

Here's another great recipe for your dining pleasure. This recipe is not from Weight Watchers. It's actually from Everyday Food, Martha's recipe magazine. I LOVE this recipe. I've eaten it three times in the past three weeks. Enjoy!
Shrimp Fried Rice
Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups basmati rice
  • 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
  • 2 large eggs, lighten beaten
  • 1 pound shrimp, peeled, deveined, and coarsely chopped
  • 2 carrots, thinly sliced on the diagonal
  • 2 scallions, sliced on the diagonal, white and green parts separated
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger (I used ground ginger instead)
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 1/4 cup fresh lime juice (I used concentrate)
Directions:
  • In a medium saucepan, bring 8 cups salted water to a boil. Add rice, and boil until tender, 12 to 14 minutes. Using a fine-mesh sieve, drain and immediately rinse with cold water to stop the cooking. Set aside.
    OR follow directions on container of rice.
  • While rice is cooking, heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium. Add eggs; cook until set, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer eggs to a cutting board (reserve skillet). Cool eggs, then cut into 2-by-1/4 inch strips.
  • In reserved skillet, heat remaining teaspoon oil over medium. Add shrimp, carrots, scallion whites, garlic, and ginger. Cook, tossing frequently, until shrimp are opaque and carrots are crisp-tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Add eggs, soy sauce, lime juice, and cooked rice. Cook, tossing to heat rice through, about 1 minute. Serve garnished with scallion greens.
Serves 4. Prep Time: 15 minutes. Total Time: 30 minutes. 7 points per serving.

4 comments:

Chic Runner said...

I have a friend like that too, and it's hard. Like she thinks everything I do, I will never be as 'good' as her, or at least that's how she makes me feel. I know the feeling of having some random people like that in your life. Keep working hard at it and thanks for the recipes! :)

Mary Michal said...

Good for you for bettering yourself and being aware of what goes into your body. I get snide looks and comments too when I talk about watching what I eat because I'm a small girl. But I'm a small girl because I'm aware of what I eat!

BTW...this recipe sounds great!

Mojito Maven said...

I have A LOT of people in my life like that and it makes it REALLY hard!! Keep it up...when you look amazing maybe she'll consider your "crazy diet"

Mrs. Classic said...

I have been doing weight watchers for about 2 years now and have encountered some of the same. They just don't get it. Do what is right for you, they are just jealous.

Related Posts with Thumbnails