"Don't you have something put away to give us?"
"What do you mean 'no gifts'?"
"But you always give such thoughtful gifts!"
Yeah... not what I expected. (J's family apparently doesn't mind not giving gifts, which doesn't surprise me, for some reason.) Actually, I usually buy gifts throughout the year for everyone and tuck everything away for Christmas. Every year, I've been done with my "holiday" shopping before the end of October. This year, I knew better. My favorite part of gift-giving is finding something that represents each individual. J's mom loves Santas. His sister loves Ghiradelli chocolate. My step-sister and her husband are Starbucks fiends, and she loves butterflies and baking. Dad loves fishing, eating out and movies. Step-mom loves Brighton, strawberries and anything from Mary Kate's in Dallas. Sister loves antique-looking ornaments. Brother1 likes books and art. Brother2 likes anything music-related. Step-dad loves snakes, hiking and the outdoors. I love knowing that when they open their present, they are going to feel like I put a lot of thought into their gift. I thought it would be hard to come up with budget gifts for everyone. Apparently, it wasn't as hard as I thought! Here are a few items I've picked up to send everyone.
Mom & Step-dad: Return Address Embosser from Horchow- $27!
Wood Charging Station (for cell phones & iPods)- $24.99!
Sister & Husband: Return Address Embosser from Horchow- $27!
Starbucks coffee sampler- $12 (thanks, Jen!)
Dad & Step-mom: Wood Charging Station (for cell phones & iPods)- $24.99!
$25 gift card to On the Border/Chili's/Macaroni Grill
Grandma & Grandpa (dad's side): $25 gift card to Cracker Barrel-- they always split an entree
Grandma (mom's side): $25 gift card to Wal-mart
Step-sister & Husband: Starbucks coffee sampler- $12 (thanks again, Jen!)
Dessert cookbook- Free (one I've never used...don't judge!)
Niece 1: movies Ratatouille, Ice Age, How the Grinch Stole Christmas- $18 total
Niece 2: Clothes-- all bought on super sale before spending freeze
Brother 1: $25 gift card to Barnes & Noble
Brother 2: $25 gift card to Guitar World
Total spent: $270.98 for 15 people; approx. $18.07 per person!! I hate to admit it, but that is a far cry from what I usually would have spent. I am starting to learn that it's okay to spend a lot less... your family will still love you!







6 comments:
You are a much better person than me.
If my family had said that I would have had a few choice words about the meaning of Christmas.
I would have been really upset.
WOW! I need to take some lessons from you. That is amazing!!
Nicely done! If it makes you feel any better, I've also given a cookbook from my collection as a gift. It was brand spanking new but still, I felt like I'd be judged if anyone knew the truth. Thanks for letting me confess it here on your blog :-)
Nicely done! I am in the same boat as you, and way to keep it simple and functional! and save a ton of $$$!
Wow, you came up with some great gift ideas! Congrats on being done with your shopping.
nice shopping skills!!!!! i honestly wish we didn't have to buy gifts for christmas...maybe it would remind people what the meaning of christmas is really about.
Post a Comment