Thursday, February 26, 2009

Death and Taxes

In this world, nothing is certain but death and taxes. -- Benjamin Franklin

This past week, I dealt with nearly both. I finally got around to visiting my accountant last Thursday. I had been putting it off for no real reason at all. My accountant is super quick on the turn-around. He also likes to enter everything while you're there and give you a tentative idea of what you either owe or are getting back. Last year, I got a hefty return from 2007. Earlier in 2008, I had decided to cash out my 401k because I wasn't technically employed and needed to have the mortgage covered for a few months. BIG MISTAKE. Listen now... do not do it. Beg, borrow, or steal before you cash it out. My federal taxes were withheld, but state was not. AND, the amount was added to income, and another 10% in penalty taxes were due. I knew the penalties, but I thought I would at least break even based on the past year's return. So... I waited patiently while my accountant worked his magic. He turned the screen toward me, and I nearly had a heart attack. It said I owed $3306. My first thought was that we'd have to call off the wedding. Our budget was so small to begin with, and there was no way I could come up with that money in two months unless I got my deposits back. My second thought was basically, "How am I going to tell J?" Then, he said, "Something doesn't seem right" and promptly realized that he left a 5 off of the front of my contribution, as in five THOUSAND! So, I didn't owe at all. I'm actually getting money back. Whew! I thought I was going to pass out right there in his office!

Then, on Saturday, I decided to take a little shopping trip. The nearest shopping center is about 90 miles away-- and it's an outlet. I picked up a few things that I will show you later. Unfortunately, I stayed a little late, and it was dark by the time I started the drive home. I hate driving at night. I have horrible night vision. I was within 20 miles of my house, when I realized that I suddenly didn't see the headlights coming toward me that were just there. My first thought was that there must be a hill up ahead. There was no hill. I'm not sure when I realized what was happening, but I was suddenly slamming on my brakes. I stopped literally 5 feet from slamming into the side of a tanker truck that was blocking the entire road. I'm not sure what made the trucker decide to back onto the road from a side street, but there were cars coming from both directions! I was this close to being decapitated. I had shaky leg syndrome the rest of the way home. Thankfully, I was being looked out for that night.

Abbie

8 comments:

Adrienne said...

Geez what a stressful few days you have had!!! At least things turned out ok. Hopefully things are back to normal soon!

Shaina said...

Yikes on both accounts! I hate near-accidents...I always get so shaken up.

And as for the taxes...yeah, whew. So glad you didn't have to owe that much...what a nightmare!

LauraAnn said...

Oh my gosh! I am so glad that you are alright.....I was sitting on edge while reading about your drive home!

I used to audit companies 401(k) plans and after going through so many audits I learned to never touch your 401(k) unless you are rolling it into a another 401(k) plan. I am glad that it all worked out in the end! I am sure your heart sank into your stomach when he gave you the first figures.

USCEmily said...

I'm glad you are okay!
And I did something similar with my own taxes. I left off a number on my contributions and it kept telling me I was going to owe money, as well...until I went back and realized my mistake.
It's a scary thing!! Especially since my return was going to savings for weddings I am in!

southern daze said...

So glad you're ok!! I hate those moments when you realize just how close you were to serious trouble. Truthfully, I'm not sure how you made it home. I would probably have had to call my hubby to escort me home given it's not easy driving with "shaky leg" syndrome!

Jane said...

oh.my.goodnes. how did you even drive home? i would have needed someone to pick me up.

holly | bijou lovely said...

both situations sound scary...glad they worked out okay!

Darci White said...

Oh my goodness........glad you were alright!

I really need to find an accountant - I've done our taxes for the last several years, but we just started a business in January and I think the help is worth the cost.

I HATE taxes.........not looking forward to doing mind (and can't believe I haven't already!).

Related Posts with Thumbnails