Tuesday, November 4, 2008

The Plague of Reality Television

I'm sure you all have noticed the plethora of reality shows on television now. Have you noticed how many awful ones there are? Maybe it's just me, but I can not stand to watch most of them.

It seems as though the number of wedding-related reality shows has sky-rocketed in the past year. Just off the top of my head I can think of several shows: Say Yes to the Dress; Whose Wedding is it Anyway; Bridezillas; My Big Fat Fabulous Wedding; Platinum Weddings; Married Away; The Real Wedding Crashers; Rich Bride, Poor Bride; My Fair Wedding; My Big Redneck Wedding... I'm sure I'm missing some. Honestly, I think there are less than five of these that I would actually watch.

I used to enjoy watching Bridezillas. As the show has progressed from season to season, the network seems to have decided to focus on brides who are just plain crazy, not just crazy from planning. Platinum Weddings used to entertain me, but I've grown extremely tired of the over-the-top, extravagant events that seem like a waste of money.

Since my wedding planning has begun, I've thrown out many of my old inspiration photos... not because they weren't gorgeous-- because they weren't us. It's amazing how quickly my mindset changed once I realized the most important part of our wedding would not be the details, but the fact that we were sharing the most important day in our lives with our friends and family. No one will remember what linens we chose. So, the idea of keeping up with the Joneses and having everything be bigger and better has falled by the wayside. I won't say that I won't tune in to the reality shows every once in a while, but I can say for sure that the blog world has opened my eyes to making your wedding truly yours... and I'd much rather tune into that any day.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

I was never into the whole bride/wedding planning thing, but I completely agree on the tastes thing. My change was as simple as desperately wanting a Christmas wedding to wanting a summer wedding.

Related Posts with Thumbnails